Daily Journal welcomes new reporter

A new reporter joined the Daily Journal staff Monday.

Elissa Maudlin, a Ball State University graduate, joins the staff to cover Franklin, Whiteland, Edinburgh and unincorporated Johnson County.

In the year since her college graduation, she worked for her hometown newspaper, Current of Noblesville. While in school, she was the editor-in-chief of her college’s newspaper and completed an investigative fellowship with the Indianapolis Star and an internship with the Daily Journal’s sister newspaper, the (Greenfield) Daily Reporter.

Just a year out of college, Maudlin already has several awards to her credit. She has won Reporter of the Year for four-year schools at the Associated Collegiate Press Awards and recently won 2nd place for In-Depth News Story in the Indiana Society of Professional Journalists, student journalism division for her work at the Ball State University newspaper, The Ball State Daily News. The story centered on tenants’ struggles with a property management company.

With investigative reporting experience and time spent covering local government in the past year, Maudlin is a great fit for this role.

“Please join us in welcoming Elissa to Johnson County,” editor Leeann Doerflein said. “We are looking forward to seeing the great things she will do in this role.”

Maudlin is excited to explore Johnson County, loves journalism and believes in making a difference in the community.

“I want to connect with residents and really learn what stories matter most to them,” Maudlin said. “I’m always willing to lend an ear to hear story ideas, community concerns or just more about this amazing county.”

Maudlin can be reached at [email protected].