A Center Grove area family lost their home after a fire in a backyard gazebo spread to the house.
A sleeping resident woke up to the smell of smoke early Monday and got out of the burning home in time. But the fire already had spread to the attic and later would cause the roof to collapse.
White River Township Fire Chief Jeremy Pell said the ranch home, at 583 Moccasin Road in the Pebble Hill subdivision, was a total loss.
He estimated the damage was at least $150,000. The family had homeowner’s insurance but likely lost the home and all the possessions inside, he said.