A Franklin board has decided that a long-vacant building downtown will be best used as a new lodge and meeting space for a local service group.
The Franklin Redevelopment Commission has decided to negotiate with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks Lodge No. 1818 on a contract to purchase the former G.C. Murphy building, on East Jefferson Street, which has been government-owned and vacant since 2009.
The Franklin Elks group plans to turn the building into a new lodge, meeting space and banquet hall. The Elks will lease part of the first floor to Aunt Judy’s County Kitchen restaurant, which would relocate from its current location on Jefferson Street, east of downtown Franklin.