By next year, a downtown Franklin building could be home to a restaurant and meeting hall after being vacant for more than four years.
The Franklin Redevelopment Commission approved an agreement to sell the former G.C. Murphy Building to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks Lodge No. 1818. The Franklin Elks are turning the large downtown building, 56-58 E. Jefferson St., into their new lodge and event space and remodeling part of the building to be rented to Aunt Judy’s Country Kitchen, a restaurant that plans to move from its current location.
The city board is selling the building for $1 and also providing up to $200,000 to help the Elks club make façade improvements and interior renovations. The board has been trying to sell the building since last year and had received two rounds of proposals, including a visitor center, pawn shop and office space.