When J.T. Polk was running his canning business in Greenwood during the Civil War era, he attended church on Sundays in the town’s First Baptist Church.
Other town founders in Greenwood, including the Craigs and Jenningses, also were members. Descendents of the Bass family — who donated the church’s original property — are members today.
First Baptist Church of Greenwood will celebrate its 175th anniversary July 19. Its history can be traced from its official beginning on July 17, 1839, to when the original one-room meeting house was finished in 1844 near what is now Madison Avenue and Main Street, to the current 20,000-square-foot structure at 99 W. Main St., which was completed in 1971.