Groups cause issue for officials

In Center Grove area neighborhoods where homeowners associations have dissolved or were never started, residents call the county asking for help when drainage pipes break.

Fixing the pipes isn’t the county’s responsibility, so residents could get stuck paying for expensive repairs or to replace pipes in their neighborhoods. In the Carefree and Windsong neighborhoods, for example, residents call the Johnson County planning office about broken stormwater pipes because they don’t have homeowners associations that collect fees from property owners to pay for repairs.

The county’s stormwater department doesn’t own neighborhood drainpipes or ponds, so if there is no homeowners association, then residents upset that their lawns are getting flooded have to pay for repairs, planning and zoning director David Hittle said.

This story appears in the print edition of Daily Journal. Subscribers can read the entire story online by signing in here or in our e-Edition by clicking here.

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Journal, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.