By Robert Ziegler

Daily Journal Staff Writer

If you are looking for ways to give or to help those in need this holiday season, you have options.

Local organizations and agencies need donations and volunteers. Here is a look at some of those organizations and what they need the most:

[sc:text-divider text-divider-title=”Story continues below gallery” ]

United Way of Johnson County

What’s needed: For girls, makeup kits, lava lamps, jewelry sets, fuzzy blankets, iTunes gift cards, movies and college wear. For boys, skateboards, footballs, basketballs, Colts gear, iTunes gift items, movies and college wear.

Where the donations go: The Christmas Angel Tree Store, which provides presents for needy children.

How to donate: Drop off items at the United Way office, 460 N. Morton St., Franklin.

American Red Cross of Greater Indianapolis

What’s needed: Money

Where the donations go: Disaster relief nationwide and in central Indiana

How to donate: Mail checks to American Red Cross at 441 E. 10th St., Indianapolis, IN 46202 or visit to donate online.

St. Thomas Clinic

What’s needed: Over-the-counter medicine, money, personal hygiene items, volunteer help on Wednesdays, physicians who will see patients in their offices monthly.

Where the donations go: A free clinic that serves uninsured, low-income Johnson County adults with medical care. Every dollar donated gives $22 of medical supplies.

How to donate: Mail checks to St. Thomas Clinic, 600 Paul Hand Blvd., Franklin, IN 46131; donate online at Call 535-6057 for more information on how to help.

Good Cheer Fund

What’s needed: Money

Where the donations go: All funds go to purchase perishable and nonperishable food items for baskets, which also include donated canned goods from schools, that are given to families in need.

How to donate: Mail checks to Good Cheer Fund, P.O. Box 237, Franklin, IN 46131

Interchurch Food Pantry

What’s needed: Food donations, food drives and special projects, such as collecting stockings filled with goodies for children.

Where the donations go: Johnson County families and individuals who need food.

How to donate: Bring food donations to the back entrance of the pantry at 2900 Graham Road, Suite E, Franklin, from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Arrange special projects by calling 736-5090.


What’s needed: Money. Gift cards for Walmart, Goodwill, fast-food restaurants, pharmacies, gas stations. Hygiene products.

Where the donations go: To programs and services helping provide shelter and food for at-risk youth.

How to donate: Send checks to KIC-IT, P.O. Box 1111, Franklin, IN 46131 or donate online at

The Refuge food pantry

What’s needed: Money. New, unwrapped toys. Warm clothing, including hats, gloves and scarves for ages 18 and under. Any hygiene items and boxed food items.

Where the donations go: Area families who have registered for assistance. Money will go toward purchasing turkeys for the Thanksgiving-day drive-thru.

How to donate: You can drop off cash and items at 65 Airport Parkway, Suite 114, Greenwood, from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Donate online at

Lord’s Locker food pantry

What’s needed: New toys, gifts for teens, wrapping paper, bows, tape, gift bags, boots for children and adults. Cleaning supplies for preparation area.

Where the donations go: A Christmas blessing event Dec. 5-6 for 50 area families and the ongoing ministry.

How to donate: Drop off items at 101 S. Pleasant St., Trafalgar, from 9 a.m. to noon Monday and Tuesday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday and 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays. Call 878-7708 for other times.

Megan’s Fund

What’s needed: Cash, toys, books and toiletries. You can sponsor an individual child or family.

Where the donations go: Families in Johnson County and around the state who otherwise would struggle to have Christmas presents for their children.

How to donate: Donations can be made to Megan’s Fund at any Chase bank location. You can also mail a check to 1041 Barefoot Trail, Greenwood, IN 46142. Toys, books or toiletries can be dropped off at Urban Euphoria salon, 3113 W. Smith Valley Road, Greenwood. For information on how to sponsor a family, call 753-0630 or email

Johnson County Senior Services

What’s needed: Nonperishable food items, especially items low in sodium and sugar. Gift cards for grocery stores, pharmacies and restaurants. Cash donations.

Where the donations go: Primarily to seniors in need throughout Johnson County.

How to donate: Items may be dropped off at or checks can be mailed to 731 S. State St., Franklin, IN 46131. Office is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Cash donations also can be sent to Key Bank, 1750 Northwood Plaza Drive, Franklin, IN 46131, c/o Jenny Brebberman.

SS. Francis & Clare Harvest Food Pantry

What’s needed: Money for food purchases and nonperishable food items.

Where the donations go: To provide food for families in need in the community.

How to donate: Send check to SS. Francis & Clare Catholic Church, Harvest Food Pantry or drop off food to the pantry from 9 a.m. to noon on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month at 5901 Olive Branch Road, Greenwood.

Social of Greenwood senior center

What’s needed: Canned food items, including vegetables and fruits, boxed dinner items like pasta, peanut butter and any unopened nonperishable food.

Where the donations go: Food pantry, serving residents age 50 and older in Johnson County

How to donate: Drop off donations to The Social of Greenwood, 550 Polk St., Greenwood, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Turning Point domestic violence center

What’s needed: Money and gift cards to stores like Walmart.

Where the donations go: Clients living in a shelter or others being helped by Turning Point.

How to donate: Send a check to Turning Point, P.O. Box 103, Columbus, IN 47202. Donate on the website at

Boys and Girls Club of Franklin

What’s needed: Money. Items for kids, including markers, crayons, lined paper, coloring books, glue, glue sticks, Legos, Lincoln Logs, card games and board games

Where the donations go: Kids involved with the club

How to donate: Bring items to the club at 101 N. Hurricane St. in Franklin, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday and from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday. Mail checks to Boys and Girls Club of Franklin, 101 N. Hurricane St., Franklin, IN 46131.

Girls Inc. of Johnson County

What’s needed: Money. Volunteers.

Where the donations go: Scholarship assistance for girls in the program. No girl is turned away for inability to pay. Volunteers are needed to help girls with homework and other activities at the facility.

How to donate: Send checks to Girls Inc. of Johnson County, 200 E. Madison St., Franklin, IN 46131, or make a credit card donation in person or over the phone by calling 736-5344. Those wishing to volunteer should call the office.

Youth Connections

What’s needed: Arts and crafts items for elementary school students, large bags of candy, card and board games, digital camera, Wii games, PG or G-rated movies on DVD. A white board. A company van to transport program participants. Volunteer work, including floor stripping, waxing and cleaning.

Where the donations go: Programs for at-risk youth.

How to donate: Bring items to the office at 460 Morton St., Suite A, Franklin. For cash donations, go to office or donate online at Those wishing to volunteer should call Angela at 738-3273.

The Lord’s Cupboard

What’s needed: Clothes, toys, furniture and other household items (no TVs, computers or mattresses).

Where the donations go: The organization sells items at a discounted cost to the public and provides items free of charge to those with referrals. Proceeds go to operational expenses and to other nonprofit organizations in Johnson County.

How to donate: Donate in person at 606 Banta St., Franklin, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.

Tree of Caring

What’s needed: Sponsors to buy gifts for specific families

Where the donations go: Christmas presents for anonymous individuals in the community. Their needs, including clothing sizes, are listed on paper ornaments on a tree at The Place for Hair, Trafalgar.

How to donate: Send checks to Johnson County Community Foundation, P.O. Box 217, Franklin, IN 46131, and note the gift is for “The Tree of Caring Fund” or mail them to Teresa Waltz, 275 E. County Road 600S, Trafalgar, IN 46181. For questions, call Teresa at 933-3755.