Franklin man sentenced to 7 years in prison for shooting

A Franklin man has been sentenced to seven years in prison after he shot and wounded another man on a city street.

Jerrod Emmert, 23, 328 Hurricane St., shot a 22-year-old once in the leg near Adams and Yandes streets in Franklin in May. Police found the handgun, which he had purchased about two weeks before, in a bush about a block away from the shooting.

Emmert pleaded guilty to charges of criminal recklessness resulting in serious bodily injury and carrying a firearm without a license in the shooting case, as well as a charge of theft in a separate case. He was sentenced to five years in prison for the shooting and two years for the theft.

Emmert received a longer sentence for the charges because of his criminal history and because of the violent nature of the shooting, Johnson County chief deputy prosecutor Joe Villanueva said. Emmert has been convicted of multiple crimes, such as theft and criminal mischief, since turning 18.

“The simple act of the gun with his history of not being able to behave himself makes us want to put him in prison for a long time,” Villanueva said.

All seven years will be served in prison, with no probation. Since Emmert has continued to break the law, it is unlikely he’d follow the rules of probation or other alternative programs, Villanueva said.

“I don’t want him on probation in Johnson County,” Villanueva said.

Emmert’s attorney, Phil Wilson, was not available Monday.

On May 31, police were called to the Franklin neighborhood and found 22-year-old Tyler Young, who had a gunshot wound to his leg. The shooting occurred after an altercation between Emmert, Young and some other people earlier in the day.

Young had gone to Emmert’s home at 328 Hurricane St. and was shot by Emmert with a .38-caliber handgun, police said. A witness in the neighborhood reported seeing a man running away wearing clothes similar to what Young had described Emmert wearing.

Young walked about three blocks after being shot, where police found him. He was taken to an Indianapolis hospital, treated and released the same day.

The gun police found had been purchased by Emmert about two weeks before the shooting, police said. A relative told police that Emmert had called that day, said he had shot someone and thrown away the gun, the police

report said.