Indy man sentenced to 2 years for October police chase in Bargersville

An Indianapolis man has pleaded guilty and been sentenced to two years in prison on charges stemming from an October police chase in Bargersville.

Charles Hardesty, 21, pleaded guilty to one count of auto theft and two counts of resisting law enforcement, all felonies, in Johnson County Superior Court 2 on June 29. As part of his plea agreement, a misdemeanor charge of possession of marijuana was dismissed. He was sentenced to two years in an Indiana Department of Correction facility and received a jail credit of 73 days. All three sentences will be served concurrently, or at the same time, according to online court records.

Hardesty was arrested along with Kayley R. Majko, 27, of Indianapolis, following an October police chase that led to the recovery of a stolen vehicle. The driver of the stolen vehicle, Hardesty, failed to stop when a sheriff’s deputy attempted to pull him over just after 3:30 a.m. Oct. 10 near State Road 144 and Overlook Drive, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Hardesty drove through yards, down several town streets and State Road 144 while speeding and disregarding stop signs along the way. The vehicle continued on State Road 144 until it ran off the road and into a ditch at the construction site for a new roundabout at Centerline Road. Hardesty continued to run away on foot, according to court documents.

A K-9 officer and his handler pursued Hardesty a short distance and ordered him to stop at the edge of a cornfield. Hardesty complied and was placed under arrest, court documents show.

Majko had a warrant out of Hendricks County for charges of theft and identify deception at the time of the arrest, according to online court records. She was charged by Johnson County prosecutors last October with possession of a narcotic drug and unlawful possession of a syringe, both Level 6 felonies, and possession of paraphernalia, a misdemeanor.

She plead guilty to the felony charges in May, and as part of her agreement, the misdemeanor charge was merged with her conviction. She was sentenced to 366 days in jail, all executed, with a 163-day jail credit, and the counts were ordered to be served concurrently, or at the same time, according to online court records.