The death of an Indianapolis man found shot on Interstate 65 in Franklin has been ruled a suicide, Johnson County Coroner Mike Pruitt said Friday.
The body of a 23-year-old Indianapolis man with injuries consistent with a gunshot wound was found by police along I-65 southbound near the 91 mile-marker north of the Franklin exit before 8 a.m. Thursday. The first 911 calls about the incident came in around 7:45 a.m. Thursday. The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, ISP, the coroner’s office and various local police and fire agencies responded to the scene.
Within hours after the investigation by Indiana State Police began, detectives preliminarily said the death may not be a homicide, ISP spokesperson Sgt. John Perrine said in a tweet Thursday morning.
An autopsy conducted by the Johnson County Coroner’s Office on Friday confirms ISP’s preliminary conclusion. The man’s cause of death was determined to be a gunshot and the manner of death suicide, the coroner’s office said.
The Daily Journal previously reported the man’s name. Because the death has now ruled suicide, he is not being named in this story.