Daily Journal welcomes summer intern

A new intern is helping the Daily Journal cover Johnson County this summer.

With partnership from the Hoosier State Press Association’s Pulliam Internship program, the Daily Journal welcomed Mia Lehmkuhl to the staff Monday. The HSPA provides funding for newspapers across the state to add an intern each summer. The Daily Journal was lucky enough to be chosen for the program again this year.

Lehmkuhl is a senior at the University of Indianapolis who hails from Raleigh, North Carolina. She has served in several different positions — including opinion editor, online editor and editor-in-chief — at the UIndy student newspaper, The Reflector. She will be editor-in-chief for the second time this coming school year.

Lehmkuhl said she fell in love with writing before pursuing journalism. She writes fiction and fantasy stories and is currently working on a novel during her last year at UIndy. Discovering the world of journalism in high school by serving as a reporter and news editor, Lehmkuhl said that is when she fell in love with the profession.

“Journalism is about more than just writing stories. You write about people’s lives, and, sometimes, good journalism can hold corporations or governments accountable,” she said. “Journalism is essential for a healthy democracy by making as much information as possible available to the public.”

Lehmkuhl also said she is excited to delve into local politics, connect with the Johnson County community and cover the Johnson County Fair next month.

“I’m really excited to get some professional experience outside of student reporting,” Lehmkuhl said. “It means a lot to me that I’m able to tell other people’s stories through the Daily Journal. I’m super happy and grateful to learn and grow here in Franklin.”

After she finishes her undergraduate degree in communication with a concentration in journalism, Lehmkuhl aspires to be an investigative reporter and fantasy author.

Thanks to the HSPA partnership, she will be on staff for the next 10 weeks.

“As a UIndy alumna, I know the journalism program offers a great foundation to build upon. She’s already done great work at The Reflector, and we are excited to help her learn and grow even more this summer,” Editor Leeann Doerflein said. “Please join us in welcoming Mia.”

Drop her a line or send story ideas her way at [email protected] or 317-736-2719.