Toaster oven fire causes temporary evacuation at FCMS

Franklin Community Middle School staff members temporarily evacuated students Thursday after a toaster oven caught fire in an art room on the building’s second floor.

There were no injuries reported. Students were baking polymeric clay, said Robin Betts, spokesperson for Franklin Community School Corporation. That type of clay is commonly baked in an oven or toaster oven.

Fire damage was limited to the toaster oven. Franklin firefighters responded to the fire around 9 a.m. and extinguished it before clearing the first floor. Students were able to return to the building around 9:30 a.m., Betts said.

The art room was temporarily closed to students because of debris from the fire extinguisher. Second floor windows were left open for ventilation, she said.